Welcome to St George's!
If you are a student and you live, work or study in the area then you are especially welcome at St George’s. We are a diverse community of Christians with a growing number of students. We meet regularly to worship God, to grow in God’s love and to share the good news of Jesus Christ with our neighbours.
Feel at home
Being a student can be great fun but also demanding and challenging; we can find ourselves away from those we love and our homes. On Sundays we gather as a group of people of diverse ages and backgrounds. Our worship tends to be quite traditional but friendly and informal, with a wide range of musical styles and thoughtful and challenging preaching. We are united not just by our worship but also by our lively (and regular!) meals together, and the service of one another and the community. As our church family continues to grow, we welcome you to join us on our journey.
Student life at St George's
Being a student is also a great time to explore some of life’s big questions – What’s it all for? What really matters to me? And through our groups, study and worship we hope to share in thinking about these questions with you.
In particular, students and young adults join us at:
- Our 11am Sunday eucharist
- Our Sunday Evening service at 7pm, a service of Compline (traditional Night Prayer) with music and a short meditation on a Bible passage, followed by wine and pizza
- Younger adults supper and discussion, last Wednesday of each month
St George’s isn’t ever likely to be just a ‘student church’. But if you are a student, we offer the opportunity to meet both other students and people of other ages and life experiences.
We run a number of regular events serving our rich and varied local community. These include (click on the links for more information):
- Community café, Thursdays from 2-4pm
- FoodBank, Mondays from 9:30-11:30am and Thursdays from 2:30-4:30pm.
- Lunchtime concerts, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-2pm.
- Robes Homeless Project, Fridays in winter months.
- Heritage events for schools, community and tour groups
- Holiday lunch club for local primary school children during school holidays
- Toddler club on Tuesday afternoons
We warmly welcome those who are able to volunteer to help with these events. Please contact Fr Jonathan or the parish office at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Fr Jonathan, Fr Sam and Fr David also serve as chaplains at London South Bank University. You can often find them there during the week. They are available for pastoral care and support and are happy to talk to you about anything you like, whether about relationships, exploring faith or practical things like housing, studies, jobs and money. You can contact them through Fr Jonathan, the Lead Chaplain, at email@example.com. There are drop-in sessions on:
- Mondays from 11:30-1pm in the Grads Café, Student Centre.
- Wednesdays from 11:30-12:30 in the Grads Café, Student Centre.
There is a eucharist on Tuesdays at 1pm in the Multi-Faith Space, LR292. All welcome.
Fr David helps to run a staff Bible study on Wednesdays, 1:15-2pm in the Multi-Faith Space, LR292. See the LSBU Yammer page on the Staff Christian Fellowship for more information.