At St George’s we are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children, young people and adults. This page provides details of people you can get in touch with if you have any questions or concerns about safeguarding in this parish.
Parish Safeguarding Officers
Our Parish Safeguarding Officers are Jane Mogford, Percy Larbi and Joey Owusu-Ansah. If you have any queries or concerns, please contact Jane, in the first instance, on firstname.lastname@example.org, or by ringing 0207 357 7331.
Our churchwardens are Femi Shorinolu, Grace Idowu, and Sophie Brightwell. They can also be contacted by going through the Parish Office. The email address is email@example.com, and the phone number is 0207 357 7331.
Other helpful contact details
You can also get help with child and adult safeguarding issues using the contact details below:
NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
The NSPCC also run a phone line specifically for those worried about abuse in the Church of England. This number can be used to provide information or raise concerns about potential abuse, whether relating to children, adults or seeking to whistle blow about poor safeguarding practice: 0800 80 20 20
Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 ( free phone Monday to Friday 9- 5pm).
Southwark Diocesan Safeguarding Team
Contact details for the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser are:
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser: Kate Singleton
firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7939 9423 Mobile 07982 279713 (for urgent matters out of hours)
Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers, Marie Daly and Louise Vernon
Marie Daly email@example.com; 020 7939 9441; Mobile 07946 255295
Louise Vernon firstname.lastname@example.org; 020 7939 9462; Mobile 07946 255622
Further information can be found at
The diocese also produces a safeguarding manual, called A Safe Church. This can be found by using this link:
The Parish's currnet safeguarding policy can be found below:
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 14thApril 2019.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, our church is committed to:
- promoting a safer environment andculture
- safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within thechurch
- responding promptly to every safeguarding concern orallegation
- caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affectedpersons
- caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affectedpersons
- responding to those who may pose a present risk toothers.
The parish will:
- create a safe and caring place forall
- haveanamedParishSafeguardingOfficer(PSO)toworkwiththeIncumbentandthePCCto implement policy andprocedures
- safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond toabuse
- ensurethatthereisappropriateinsurancecoverforallactivitiesinvolvingchildrenandadults undertaken in the name of theparish
- display on church premises and on the parish website the details of whom to contact with safeguarding concerns or supportneeds
- listen to and take seriously all those who discloseabuse
- takestepstoprotectchildrenandadultswhenasafeguardingconcernofanykindarises, following House of Bishops’ guidance, including immediately notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutoryagencies
- offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when orwhere itoccurred
- care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of allparties
- ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewedannually
- review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice atleast annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Thischurchappoints Josephine Owusu-Ansah, Percy Larbi and Jane Mogford as the Parish SafeguardingOfficers.
Churchwardens:Peter Duggan, Grace Idowu, Femi Shorinolu
Date: 14thApril 2019