St. George’s School was founded in 1698 by the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge (SPCK). It was one of the first three such schools to be founded in London. Initially, the school had forty male scholars and was located on what is now Lancaster Street, then Union Street. In 1715, the school had 50 pupils and the master was a Mr. Goswim-Conen. In 1747, a girls’ school was built in a separate building in ‘the late watch house’ in Tabard Street. This was the watch house that was located in the old churchyard, east of the church. The school was described as having ‘four foreigners’; children not from the parish. Students wore uniforms provided by trustees and were apprenticed by the trustees when leaving school aged 13 depending on their records. Both schools moved in 1839 to new buildings on Borough Road and in 1847, an infant’s department was added. In 1902, these buildings were replaced with new buildings on Mansfield Street, Borough Road. The 250th anniversary was celebrated in 1948, with a booklet being produced. In 1966, due to lack of pupils, the school was closed and the remaining pupils amalgamated into St. Jude’s Primary school. The St. George’s school buildings on Borough Road were demolished in late 2017 as part of building work carried out by London South Bank University.